Arsenal’s second game of the Premier League season ended in disappointment as Liverpool ran off 2-0 winners. Here are some thoughts on the game.
- Frimpong is a beast. He may have been sent off, but that was mainly due to inexperience. Besides that, he was impressive. He came really close to scoring after a driving run, and always put in 110%.
- Szczesny looks to be our number 1 for a long time, hopefully. He has improved from last season in many things, one of the most noticeable, his distribution. He saved brilliantly from Carroll and made a few important saves and catches.
- Vermaelen is a rock. No disrespect to Van Persie, but I believe Vermaelen should be our captain. His will to drive forward was great to watch, and his defencive skills were outstanding, making a few important blocks.
- Miquel looks like he can be good, or at least better than Squillaci. Coming on against Liverpool after 15 minutes to make your Premier League debut is tough, but I believe he did well. He showed good skill on the ball and his work rate was high. The only sour note was he might have done better on the own goal, but besides that, he was good.
- We need a new Centre Forward more than a new defender. For the past few seasons, everyone has been calling out for a new, good defender, including myself, but ever since we started playing with one up top, we have been poor. Van Persie is a great goalscorer, but too many times he comes out to the wing and we have no players in the centre. Van Persie can’t play by himself up top, and we need a player who can score 20+ a season to partner him up front.
- Nasri needs to stay for another season at least. Ramsey has excellent potential, as he showed against United last year, but he isn’t good enough to be our Fabregas yet. If Nasri stays, Ramsey can get experience and playing time while he doesn’t have the pressure of being our next Fabregas